--God reveals what he is about to do...that revelation becomes an invitation to join Him...which leads to a crisis of belief...requiring faith and action on the part of the believer.
CRISIS OF BELIEF...in the study it describes how Moses experienced a "crisis of belief" when he continued to give God excuses for why he wasn't the right man for the job...not an eloquent speaker, etc. In my opinion, "crisis of belief" is anything that we think or say that hinders or distracts us from following God's invitation to join Him in His work. Hence, why FAITH followed by ACTION is the next part of the formula to actually "experiencing God." During my moments of crisis of belief...Satan was definitely involved. If I felt insecure because of past sin, Satan wanted that to paralyze me into doing nothing for God. During my college years, it definitely did. I remember feeling so unworthy...and not believing God could do AMAZING things in my life...so I settled for less than God's best. Can you relate? Why didn't I have more FAITH?
I think that is why I loved participating in the Bible study by Beth Moore called "Believing God." It was during that time that I began to say out loud the 5 statements to believing God: God is who He say He is...God can do what He says He can do...I am who God says I am...to the ultimate and final statement...I'M CHOOSING TO BELIEVE GOD! It was so powerful actually speaking those statements out loud...not just reading them, but actually believing them...saying them enough to where they penetrated your heart. To actively BELIEVE...HE IS ABLE to do what He wants to do and can do it through ME...was powerful...IS POWERFUL.
Now, I've never heard an audible voice; however, I do have a Bible. The Bible is designed to help you understand the ways of God. Then, when God starts to act in your life, you can recognize that it is God. Something this study has really convicted me of is to study how God handled situations and what He chose to do or NOT do for those He loved in the Bible...AND then apply that to my life.
Several of you know that for 3+ years we have prayed that Travis' chronic back pain would be healed. However, looking at Paul's life...he too had a "thorn in the flesh" that God chose not to remove. Perhaps, it isn't meant for Travis to be healed or perhaps my timetable and God's timetable are different. The book says God can come to our rescue, but He will only do it at the perfect time...to maximize His glory. I mean I hate to think this...but what would show more of God's power? Travis have back pain and a skilled surgeon fix it perfectly the first time or for Travis to have suffered for years...been to doctor after doctor with no relief...then God heal him? Or the book also brings up this point, GOD DEVELOPS CHARACTER TO MATCH THE ASSIGNMENT. How long was it from the time that God spoke to Abraham about having a son till he finally had Issac? 25 YEARS! Why did God wait 25 years? Because it took God 25 years to make a father suitable for Issac. God wanted to build a nation through Abraham. God didn't want to wait until Issac was born to make Abraham a man of character.
So God is building Travis' character and mine...for some future assignment...perhaps. Nice thought, but as Travis said, "It doesn't make the pain any easier day to day." He is right...life isn't any easier just knowing that. But I do know that everyday Travis chooses to get out of that bed, put on his shoes, get dressed, and work a long work day...his character is being built. Side note: with the presidential election coming soon, Travis was talking about John McCain's time as a POW (Prisoner of War) and the incredible physical and emotional turmoil that was...the beatings, etc. I can't even imagine...but to survive that and not want to take your own life to escape it takes a lot stronger person than me. Perhaps, it took that experience to prepare John McCain to govern a nation. Say what you will about George W. Bush, but I'm sure when his term in office is done...it will be a huge relief to him. To actually be able to wake up and not have the concerns of an entire nation weighing down on your shoulders.
I love this statement in the book, God may want to adjust your life and character in smaller assignments in order to prepare you for the larger ones. When we are willing to make the adjustments in our life and start to obey Him, we can come to know Him by experience. Ultimately, isn't that what life is all about? TO KNOW HIM...I mean 50 years down the road, I want to be able to say, "I experienced God...when I held Ellie during those many sleepless nights, when I had to correct one of the girls for disobeying when it would have been easier at the time to just ignore it, when I'm so exhausted from doing laundry, the cooking, the cleaning..." Can you tell what season of life I'm in? LOL I want to know that God is there. He is in the mundane. He is ever being My Shepherd...watching over me...guiding me to greener pastures. I truly want to hear one day, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" Matt. 25:21 My heart wants to serve...then I read this When God tells you a direction, you accept it, and understand it, clearly, then GIVE God all the time He needs to make you the kind of person that He can trust with that assignment. It is hard giving Him that time. It is hard being patient. It is hard being stretched and having to go out of your comfort zone. Will I be obedient though? And then I look at all the characters in the Bible and draw strength from the fact that God dearly loved them and yet still called them to that journey of faith...followed by action. My prayer is that I will never look at my present circumstances and question God's love for me. May every circumstance, every moment...be seen against the backdrop of the cross. It was settled at the cross whether or not God loved me. What specific ways has God expressed His love to you personally?


No comments:
Post a Comment