I guess my heart has just been heavy with reflection...wondering whether I have my priorities straight... I guess my change of heart happened as Christmas cards came in this year. Oh, to actually have a letter...something tangible to hold...it seems so "old fashioned" now with email, facebook and blogs...but I tell you they meant the world to me...especially those who took the time to write a personal message inside or those from my precious Senior Saints...the generation not so computer savvy. I think of precious Neil McDonald back in Wichita Falls, Texas sharing of her recent health problems. Gayla Pope sharing of her battle with cancer. I wanted so badly to seat down with them and share a cup of coffee and just talk...but everything seems so busy. Life is so busy in fact that I can count on one hand the people I call or that call me on a weekly basis...and two of those are my mother and mother-in-law...the other my dear, precious friend, Lynn, who I have loved like a sister for almost nine years...interestingly distance never made a difference for her. We haven't lived in the same place for more than 6 years, and yet she calls me almost every week. Perhaps it is the New Year that has caused my heart and mind to wander. I've been wondering what true friendship really looks like and even what true Christianity looks like...somewhere along the way I've gotten confused. A book that has really disturbed me and caused me to hope to break out of the box I've found myself in is Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne. Here is a quote from his book, "We can admire and worship Jesus without doing what He did. We can applaud what he preached and stood for without caring about the same things. We can adore the cross without taking up ours. I had come to see that the great tradegy in the church is not that rich Christians do not care about the poor but that rich Christians do not know the poor." Before you blow off the last sentence, "Oh, I'm not rich." Then start looking at the people Shane is talking about. If you have food, transportation, shelter, and clothing...then you meet the category for being "rich." If you are brave and not afraid to change or be challenged watch this clip on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPANKUHabx4&feature=related


5 comments:
Friend, I have been wrestling with the same things lately. Personally, I am questioning my priorities...I always seem to have time for blogging and email, and even for some TV watching, but how much time am I putting into playing with my precious children, reading my Bible, praying? Not enough...that is the honest answer. I am failing miserably at the things I know in my heart to be the most important...all because I am selfish and lazy. What a disappointment I must be to my Father.
Nathaniel and I recently began Home Churching and it has changed me. It has changed the way I think and act, and has changed my views on quite a lot. Worship is not something we do on Sunday and Wednesday...worship is how we live - every day, every minute, every second - how we offer our lives as a sacrifice to the Father. My worship doesn't look very pleasing right now, and I am praying and earnestly seeking change. I want change for me and I want change for my family.
Sorry this comment has gotten so long...I could say so much more, but I'll not hog your comment space. Apparently I have a lot of emotions about this that I will need to explore in the coming days and weeks.
Dorothy, we miss you girl! Thanks so much for sharing your heart with me on this blog. I will miss your posting, but we will definitely keep in touch! Love you friend!
Oh, I'm so there, too. I don't think it is about guilt, but rather wanting so desperately to be close to the one we love...Jesus. Please, tell me more about this Home Church you and Nathaniel have started! My heart is so yearning for change. I'm trying so desperately to make life less about me and more about Him.
I loved Irresistible Revolution and it really affected how I looked at things. I will miss your time away, hope at some point you will be back ; )
I will miss you to while you are gone. You write wonderful, inspiring things. I hope you find what you are looking for!
Hugs!!! For me blogging is interesting but lately almost theraputic for me. It's an interesting balance. Please stay in touch. I love you. :)
Post a Comment