Sunday, January 18, 2009

Reflections from Esther Study

It has been pretty amazing taking the time out to do my homework each day for the Esther study (by Beth Moore). Between that and teaching Bible Hour at church, I've found myself constantly in the Old Testament...and BOY has it been inspiring, refreshing, comforting.... For some reason we tend to avoid the Old Testament. It is like we get to the story of King David/Solomon and then skip right past the prophets...to a precious child born in a manager. I understand. Would you get excited if your Sunday school teacher said, "Oh, next week we will begin a long series over the prophet Obadiah."
Now, I know this will sound a little weird, but last week's lesson for Bible Hour was over Jeremiah...so I began to read about the prophet, Jeremiah. Now you have to realize I've been teaching the Bible in chronological order...somewhat for weeks. We studied Moses, than Joshua, then the Judges, then the Kings and now the Prophets. Realizing, of course, I have to make it very simple because I'm teaching 3 yr. olds- 1st grade.
So as I'm reading Jeremiah, I'm thinking, "How can I explain what a prophet does?" Then I go to MOPS that morning, and our coordinator shares the verse out of...GUESS WHAT? Jeremiah "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) Her testimony was AMAZING...drug abuse, abortion, domestic violence and yet all the time God is wooing her to come back to Him...convincing her that He has a plan, a future for her. It gave me hope.
So I go back to reading Jeremiah again that night, and read about God continuing to tell His people "Come back to me!" and how they continually fail to...choosing to worship idols instead. Until ultimately the destruction of the Temple where the Babylonians took everything precious and sacred to God's people away...the Ark of the Covenant...even the pillars...EVERYTHING...including the people. So God's people where then called "Exiles." They were scattered like seed...forced to live in countries far away from everything they had ever known. --Can you relate? I can now.
In so many ways, I left Jerusalem (aka Abilene, Texas/Bible Belt) and went to a foreign land. I felt God's presence so strong when I was there. My brothers and sisters in Christ lifted me up when I was too weak to even pray. They were a huge support network, especially during Travis' surgeries and constant chronic back pain. MOPS mentors took me under their wings...an AMAZING church with incredible elders. It was convenient to go to "The Temple." I felt like I was growing in my walk. Everything was good. Interestly, though, how distance can make a huge difference. I can only image how the Exiles felt being so far away.
Two of the most precious people to me there in Abilene, I can count on one hand the times they have called me while living in O'Fallon, IL. It crushed my spirit. I mean how do you tell someone that simply getting a card from them in the mail or eating lunch with them meant the world to you? I cry out, "What did I do wrong?" So I have felt like a scattered seed...thrown to the wind...trying to grow where the military placed us, for several months. Then as I read on in Jeremiah, I came across this verse, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again." (Jeremiah 31: 3-4) Can you relate? Oh, how wonderful God is! He is rebuilding me!
Eventually, the "Exiles" were able to go back to rebuild the Temple. The Persians conquered the Babylonians and under King Cyrus they slowly made their way back. Esther and her people were some of those displaced Jews. Did you know the book of Esther never mentions "God"? Weird, isn't it. Beth makes the statement that though God isn't mentioned, He was definitely there. She shared how there have been times in her life, in midst of her book writing, where God seemed to be silent, distant. She thought perhaps she had done something wrong. Then after much seeking Him, the flood gates opened of His love, His mercy...a huge renewal in her life. In some ways I think that is beginning to happen for me again. Jeremiah 29:12 says,"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
In the pages of the Old Testament I have found hope. "This wild God of mine, who knows my every thought and intention, who sees my every failure and sin, loves me." pg. 192, Captivating by Stasi Eldredge. Other quotes from the book, Captivating, that I love...
-pg. 197 "The story of your life is also the story of the long and passionate pursuit of your heart by the One who knows you best and loves you most."
-pg. 208 "He often takes us aside from every other source of comfort so that He alone can have our heart's attention."
I think I will continue to linger in the Old Testament for awhile...perhaps some of you will join me there.

2 comments:

Lanie said...

Great post. I appreciate you sharing your reflections. I know God has his hand on you and your work in O'Fallon. I hope that you will feel his love in a real way, despite maybe it being a different way than before. Sorry we missed talking with each other this weekend. Hope to talk to you soon. Love you! Hugs for the girls!

Leah said...

You have such a precious heart. Miss you!