Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Tooth Fairy


TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE THE TOOTH FAIRY

'Twas the night before the Tooth Fairy would come take my tooth,
i'd been so excited ever since it got loose.
My bottom tooth was dangling and twisting about.
Tonight was the night. It just had to come out.
I wiggled it and waggled it for such a long while.
While my baby sister flashed me her funny toothless smile.
Mom handed me an apple.
She said, "Here, take a bite."
"No! 'Cause if I swallow it, guess who won't come tonight."
Dad said, "Let's yank it out with a doorknob and string."
"No way, no how! I told him. "You're not gonna to do a thing."
Then my friends at school grabbed a ball during recess
and as it hit my face, it became a huge mess.
There was my little tooth on the ground you see,
and Mrs. Evans placed it in a baggie for me.
Soon I was home and ran to the mirror
and what did I see?
A cool gap in my smile, where my tooth used to be.
I could stick a straw through it then sip up my drink
or pretend I'm a fountain and spray water in the sink.



"All righty," said Mom. "Time to climb into bed, or the Tooth Fairy may visit
some other house instead."
My tooth was put under my pillow with care,
in hope that the Tooth Fairy soon would be there.
I hopped in and nestled all snug in my bed,
while visions of Fairyland danced in my head.


When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but a twinkling glow-
the Tooth Fairy was here!
Her wand, how it glittered!
Her dimples, how merry!
Her wings were so sparkly,
so light and so airy!
She reached under my pillow-I pretended to be sleeping-
and slipped my tooth in a pouch where it stayed for safekeeping.

I kept one eye open, as she fluttered around,
Then- poof-she was gone without making a sound.
I dug under my pillow and felt something funny.
All right! The Tooth Fairy left me some money!
"Look what I got!" I yelled with a whoop and a holler.
"The Tooth Fairy gave me a spanking new dollar."


("I brush my teeth, what do I get?")

That woke up my sister, who started to cry.
When Dad picked her up, we could see why.

Now my sister and I both have a new grin. My first tooth came out - her first two came in!





3 comments:

Whitney said...

That was way too creative and cute! Happy Mother's Day!

Lanie said...

I love the poem! How creative. What fun memories. Hugs to all. Hope you had a very Happy Mothers Day!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Did you come up with that whole thing?! Amazing! Love, Martha