Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SKUNK!!! No where to hide!


Yes, we have had the pleasure of dealing with a skunk or possibly skunks...the last several days. I was watching "Design Star" Sunday night, when I was like, "Yikes, what just died? Oh, I recognize that smell." IN MY LIVING ROOM, the smell of that horrible rodent was intoxicating. I was literally sick at my stomach the smell was so intense. Then I go upstairs. Every room smelled. Turns out the skunk had sprayed by our ventilation system, and literally with every movement/push of cold area...the odor was filtering through more and more rooms, with more intensity.

In Illinois, it is very costly for skunk removal, $200 to investigate the problem, and $70 for each rodent they haul off. I'm not familiar with crawl spaces under homes, so I thought perhaps the skunk was trapped underneath our house. So we called Critter Control. They could fit us in the following day and advised we open the windows to let the air circulate until then. WE DID! Imagine for a moment, me at 38 1/2 weeks pregnant, the odor of a skunk so intoxicating you are sick at your stomach, and the temperature in our house ranging in the high 90s. It was miserable!!!

Finally, they came to investigate...14 hours later. The Critter Control guy assured me that the skunk was outside and had gotten scared...poor little thing, and had sprayed near our AC unit. But not to worry, they usually never come back and spray again, and to prepare for 4 or 5 days of the odor to remain and then dissipate. Great! He set traps outside though as a precautionary act.

This morning, we awoke to a skunk "trapped" by our garage/AC unit, and a possum "trapped" in the backyard. "So, they don't come back usually. Interesting!" They fortunately reset the traps and we will see what happens tonight.

I find it interesting having lived on a ranch growing up and living in Abilene for the last 3 years that I have seen more wildlife here in the last 4 weeks then ever before. To date, I have seen while living in the TLFs (Temporary Living Facilities) on Base...a deer, a water moccasin (snake), and heard a raccoon above my head in the kitchen of the TLF. Then once in our home, I have seen several rabbits (Oh, so cute!), a skunk, and a possum. Mind you, we don't live out in the country. I actually have several houses within 50-100 yds of me. First Impressions, though...Illinois is a wildlife refuge...to this home owner's dismay. :)

3 comments:

ajphillips said...

I played with the signature thing last night & obviously it didn't work. I'll try again tonight!

I feel for you with the skunk issue. A while back we stayed with Jordan's friend back home & a skunk was shot in their garage. Needless to say, I woke Jordan up at 3 that morning and said I couldn't take it anymore and we drove 40 miles to his parents! IT WAS AWFUL!

Erica said...

Oh how horrible...I am so sorry that you had a skunk spray on your air conditioner unit. It did make for a great blog post though:)

The girls' rooms are precious. Looks like you have everything ready for your newest addition. Sending prayers your way:)

Robyn said...

I hope your "critters" are gone for good!!