Monday, September 14, 2009

Pumpkin Time...

Oh, how I love FALL! O'Fallon is especially beautiful this time of year. They have so many maple trees that turn all sorts of radiant colors. It is truly magical. With the season in mind, I thought I would share some of my favorite pumpkin poems. I have used them to attach to pumpkin bread as teacher's gifts, given them to friends and family, Boo'd the neighbors, surprised senior saints, and even given them out at Trunk-or-Treats. So enjoy! I know it early and more appropriate for October, but it is NEVER TOO EARLY to brighten some one's day.


A Pumpkin Poem
One day I found two pumpkin seeds.I planted one and pulled the weeds.It sprouted roots and a big, long vine.A pumpkin grew; I called it mine.The pumpkin was quite round and fat.(I really am quite proud of that.)But there is something I'll admit that has me worried just a bit.I ate the other seed, you see.Now will it grow inside of me?(I'm so relieved since I have found that pumpkins only grow in the ground!)

The Pumpkin Prayer

Cut off the top:
Lord, open my mind and fill me with Your wisdom and guidance.
Scoop out the yuckies
Lord, take out all my fussies and frownies and fill me with Your love.
Carve out the eyes
Lord, open my eyes to see all of the beautiful things You have made.
Carve out the nose
Lord, help me to be a sweet fragrance for You.
Carve out the mouth
Lord, help me to always speak Your words of love and kindness.
Place in a candle
Lord, let me be a light to others for You have filled me with Your light.

A Pumpkin Story
Once a friend was asked what it was like to be a Christian. Halloween was coming soon, and she thought of how to explain it.
Here was her response:
“Well, God picks you from the patch and brings you in and washes all the dirt on the outside that you got from being around all the other pumpkins. Then He cuts off the top and rakes all the yucky stuff out from inside. He removes all those seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all to see. It is our choice to either stay outside and rot on the vine or come inside and be something new and bright.”


1 comment:

Whitney said...

WOW, 2 posts in the last few weeks? What's gotten into you? Ha! :) Forget, D.C., just move back to Abilene, and please post some before and after pictures of your room makeover!