Saturday, October 18, 2008

Freedom...

Since this is my blog, I am free to response to the comments made about abortion concerning my last entry. In many ways, I have viewed my blog as my own opportunity to journal...mediate...ponder the issues of Today...not necessarily as a sound board for others' viewpoints. Anyone can create their own PERSONAL blog to voice the desires and concerns of their heart. If you are passionate about something, then I suggest you create a blog. I am relatively new to the blogger world. I now see how others feel freedom to say whatever they wish. I welcome that. It is a freedom given to every individual in America. Here is my response though...not merely under "Comments" but as the creator of this blog thus able to "Post."

In regards to abortion--
The "government" did not tell us to have sex and then force us to keep the baby we conceived. If Roe vs. Wade was overturned it would merely be the "government" trying to protect the precious miracle that was created because a woman and a man CHOSE to have unprotected sex and now regret it. If the government was FORCING women to conceive children and then forcing them to carry those children to full-term...then Yes, those practices would be closer to that of breeding horses or Hitler's desire to have a pure race. I could see how people would rise up and say the woman's rights had been violated.
I also want to protect any of my readers from further exploring information about the first comment made. The man who commented has a very offensive website, and I would suggest NOT visiting it. I found his comments to be very disturbing and utterly inappropriate. I'm concerned that he even was able to find my blog.
On a personal note, I know as I look down at friends' blogs...most if not all...speak of wonderful, happy events...crafts made, good times with girlfriends, fun things to do with the kiddos...Oh, they are so precious! How I look forward to reading them...sharing in the moment. Here is the thing though. Abortion is a hot topic. It isn't always pleasant to talk about or read about. I feel though, that when I do make a scrapbook of this blog or however my children gain access to it...I want them to see my passion, my conviction, my heart...not just the good times. My girls are so precious to me, and I want them to now how I feel to the very core. I want them to know that when we conceived them...from the moment the pregnancy test was positive...they were the most precious miracle we could have ever asked God for. Every child needs to be loved and protected. I understand the reality that "natural" parents don't always want to love the children they conceived. I'm a child of divorce. My "natural" father didn't want to have anything to do with me. What he found in a bottle meant more to him then me. My dad now though...would willing give his life for mine. His love has given me courage, passion, a desire to give back to a hurting world. I recently heard a dear friend mention someone very close to both of us that was a somewhat "failed" abortion. The mother had a desire to abort...at that time, had to cross state lines to get it done, but the doctor refused because she was so far along. Now, that she is in her late 60s...guess who has been the "Apple of her Eye" all these years? This daughter...Guess, who stood by the mother's father, her grandfather...during his dying days and try to comfort him...changed his soiled linens...This daughter. A daughter that wouldn't have been born had one doctor not made the decision to NOT abort. Life has many regrets. We all make mistakes, but those of abortion long leave their scars.


4 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Hey Dot. Glad you have a place to write and journal. I love my blog for the same reason. I also love when people comment, but some people as in the comment you were referring to are not regular readers and could leave comments that are not in line with the family values that are you. Not that being disagreeable is not a family value, but it is the way that the comments are stated that could be out of line. So what I have done is to not ever spell a word out that could bring someone who would just type that particular word, their hot button, into the search engine and find your blog. So in your case I might have spelt ab*rti*n just to not give the search engine the word that I know would be a hot button for some. I am sure you welcome the comments of friends and readers and don't feel like everyone has to have the same opinion as you, but you would appreciate the tone of the comment to be reflective of the tone of your blog, does that make sense. I know I am putting words in your mouth for this last part, so you are welcome to correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for writing your blog, I really love reading it every day.

Julia Stewart said...

Dot - I love your blog and I am proud of you for having the courage to write about all things, not just the happy fluffies....

I turned my comment moderation on, not because I didn't want people to share their thoughts on my blog... but because I kept getting people who were posting ads in the comments and I thought that was completely unneccessary. (it was quite obvious that the first poster is a loonie bird)

Abortion is a hot button topic and you have all the right in the world to stand up and say what you feel. (don't forget though that a lot of sex is not consenual)

When William was born I was only given a death certificate, NO birth certificate. He was not counted -by the governement - as a person. I was unable to claim him on my taxes. After coming home from the hospital I researched the issue more. For many years there has been an aliance of parents (stillnomore.com) who have been trying to get a law passed to have 'certificate of stillbirth' given to parents after a stillbirth. They failed. There was another group who came to argue against them. WHO do you ask were those people who went up against greiveing parents to tell them that their children didn't count as people? A panel of doctors!!!! They argued that it was too complicated to determine the exact gestational age of a baby who is viable and so they argued further that all babies before birth are technically still fetus-s and any baby born alive is a baby.

THIS (as you can imagine) pisses me off to no end.

BUT what angers me even more is that the laws regarding fetus-s/babies are inconsistant.

If I had been assaulted and william had died as a result of the attack, then the man responsible would be charged with murder... William is only a person when it is convient for them.....

In regards to the election.... it won't matter if it is McCain or Obama that gets elected.... Roe V Wade can only be changed by the courts and that comes from the people.....

anyway - thanks for letting me rant and comment...... :-)

Leah said...

Yes turn your comment moderation on so you don't have to deal with such trolls. This is your blog and like Julia said it's nice to address these issues. I LOVE reading it too.

(((Hugs)))

The Walters' Family said...

Thank you so much Tammy and Julia for educating me. Like I said, I'm totally new to this. I didn't know they could use search engines to find my blog. I guess whenever I do a search via the www it brings back so much information that I'm overwhelmed and probably click on just one or two...much less keep filtering down till I find a person's particular blog. I will try the techique you mentioned Tammy next time I discuss a sensitive matter. Thank you so much Julia for reminding me that unfortunately, not all sex is consenual. I'm so sorry about William, too...and the "government" not acknowledging his life, though short lived. I remember you voicing that to Kevin Christian during a MOPS meeting. Do you think with the advances of technology we will one day be able to somewhat pinpoint when life begans..at least legally...and not just a "live birth"? Could you email me and tell me how to activate my moderation button. Love both of you so much!!!