Friday, August 15, 2008

Great Recipe!!!

With the move, I decided I wanted to be more intentional about dinner time. My girlfriend, Robyn, already does a calendar with meals planned for the entire month and I wanted to do something similar. I found when we were moving that I bought a lot of food that went to waste, because I never quite got around to cooking it. So I came up with this plan to shop for 5 entire meals every two weeks when I go to the grocery store.
I have 5 storage tubs each for a designated meal (directions included on tub in needed), and I include all the side dishes along with it. So far, it is working out perfectly. I feel less stressed, because I'm not trying to "throw" something together at the last minute. I am also saving money, because I'm not buying unnecessary items, and I actually have all the ingredients I need. I try to have a little of everything for the 5 meals. For example, one meal might be Italian, the second Mexican, the third Chinese, fourth, a family tradition, etc. You may be saying, "Why only 5 meals for every two weeks?" Well, my answer is this. Usually we do eat out some of those nights, and then you have leftovers, and sometimes you just want to do something simple like cereal. Here is what we had tonight for dinner and it was delicious.

Italian Pork Chops

Ingredients:
1 pkg of pork chops (4) (I recommend getting the thin sliced)
1/2 cup of Bisquick mix
1/3 cup of Italian dressing
1/2 cup of Progresso garlic herb bread crumbs. (I just crushed up some croutons I had leftover)
2 T vegetable oil

Begin by marinating the pork chops overnight in the Italian dressing. Then place the Bisquick mix, dressing (remaining from marinating), and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat pork chops with Bisquick mix. Then dip the coated pork chops into the dressing, and then coat them with the bread crumbs.
Heat oil in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork chops in oil about 5 minutes turning them over until they are golden brown; reduce heat to low. Carefully, turn pork chops. Cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until pork chops are not longer pink in the center. Serve immediately.

As side dishes, I did a veggie medley...very simple...garden salad and rolls. Try it at home! It was great!


1 comment:

ajphillips said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love finding new easy recipes! Jordan and I have always shopped for 2 weeks at a time...It works great for a budget. We've tried different things and shopping for 2weeks always saves us the most money. I usually plan out 10 meals for the 2 weeks. Of course, I usually miss a couple, but then I just push them into the next 2 weeks!